Latest Canadian Baha’i News
Feed Source: www.bahainews.ca
- Baha'is Commemorate "the Martyrdom of the Bab" July 9, 2018Toronto, 9 July 2018, (CBNS)Baha’is in hundreds of cities, towns, and villages across the country will gather tomorrow to commemorate the martyrdom of “the Báb”, the Prophet-Herald of their Faith. Ashraf Rushdy, a Baha’i from Toronto, said that the Bab had a specific role in the development of the Baha’i Faith. “His mission was to gather people and to help t […]
- Embassy of Chile celebrates the Baha’i Temple of South America June 12, 2018Ottawa, 12 June 2018, (CBNS)“It is not every day you have the chance to launch a book that takes us through a creative journey, the refining of a concept, how it turns it into a design and then into a building in the foothills of Santiago.” With those words, Ambassador Alejandro Marisio welcomed guests of the Embassy of Chile to his official residence in Ott […]
- Book Launch on Stoney Nakoda First Nation highlights unity and justice June 5, 2018Stoney Nakoda First Nation, 5 June 2018The Stoney Nakoda First Nation west of Calgary, Alberta was host in May to a book launch for Equals and Partners: A Spiritual Journey Toward Reconciliation and Oneness, Wazin Îchinabi, a new memoir by southern Alberta author Patricia Verge. Wazin Îchinabi is the Stoney-Nakoda word for oneness.
- Baha’is Gather for Annual National Convention May 30, 2018Toronto, 29 May 2018From May 24-27, Baha’is from across Canada gathered at the Toronto Baha’i Centre for the annual Baha’i National Convention. The primary purpose of the Convention is to elect the National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha’is of Canada, a nine-person consultative body that serves as the governing council for the Baha’is of Canada. The 171 dele […]
- Iran Accountability Week led by all-party group for sixth year running May 18, 2018OTTAWA and TORONTO, 18 MAY 2018, (CBNS)For the past six years, the first week of May has been marked by members of all federal political parties as “Iran Accountability Week”. The initiative was started by former Attorney General Irwin Cotler, a member of the Liberal Party, to hold Iran to account for incitement to genocide, among other threats presented to […]
- Young adults gather to discuss a national youth policy for Canada May 4, 2018TORONTO, 4 MAY 2018, (CBNS)On April 28th, a small group of youth came together at the Toronto Baha’i Centre to participate in a consultative process launched by the federal government to design a national youth policy. The process, open to every part of the country, encourages youth to engage their peers to generate ideas that can inform the efforts of the f […]
- Canadian Baha’is join delegation to the 62nd UN Commission on the Status of Women May 3, 2018NEW YORK, 3 MAY 2018, (CBNS)Two members of the Baha’i community participated as delegates in the recent 62nd United Nations Commission on the Status of Women, held in New York from March 12 to 23, 2018. Mary Darling and Esther Maloney were part of a delegation of the Baha’i International Community’s United Nations Office.
- Ridvan: A 12-day festival of joy May 2, 2018TORNOTO, 2 MAY 2018, (CBNS)The Baha’i Festival of Ridvan, celebrated this year from April 21-May 2, is a special time for Baha’is that marks the beginning of the religion in 1863. Ridvan is a word from the Arabic language meaning ‘paradise’, a name that Baha’u’llah, the prophet-founder of the Baha’i Faith, gave to a beautiful garden located on the banks of […]
- Radio-Canada show creates an emotional reunion for two Bahá’í women of Saguenay April 11, 2018Montréal, 16 April 2018 (CBNS)Thanks to a Radio-Canada television series called “Deuxième chance” [Second Chance], two Bahá’í women from Saguenay, originally from Iran, had an emotional reunion with old friends they had not seen for thirty years or so. Through hard-to-believe accounts and reunions, the programme tells stories of immigration, assistance and m […]
- Re-examining reconciliation April 2, 2018VICTORIA, 2 APRIL 2018, (BWNS)Prof. Jeremy Webber, Dean of Law at the University of Victoria, looked out at a packed room. Government officials, Indigenous and religious leaders, students and academics, and members of the community had gathered for a symposium on reconciliation between the Indigenous and non-Indigenous people of the country. The event sought […]
- Baha’is Celebrate Naw-Ruz with friends and neighbours March 19, 2018TORONTO, 19 MARCH 2018, (CBNS)On March 21st, millions of people across the world will take another step in moving to the rhythms of a new calendar. In Canada, some 35,000 will be celebrating the Baha’i New year, called “Naw-Ruz”, with their friends and neighbours. Many cultures with Indo-European roots mark the Spring Equinox with ancient traditions associat […]
- Baha’is celebrate Ayyam-i-Ha with hospitality, charity and gifts February 28, 2018TORONTO, 27 FEBRUARY 2018, (CBNS)The period of Ayyam-i-Ha in the Baha’i calendar is described as days of “hospitality, charity and gift-giving.” One group of friends in Toronto participated in a few activities this past weekend to honour the occasion.
- Vancouver community gathering explores the journey to reconciliation February 8, 2018VANCOUVER, 9 FEBRUARY 2018, (CBNS)On February 1st, 2018, more than 50 community members gathered at the Vancouver Aboriginal Friendship Centre, located on the territory of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations, to explore the journey to reconciliation through spirituality, arts and action. The event was organized by members of the Vancouver […]
- Doris McLean, “strong and bright light,” passes away at 77 February 2, 2018TORONTO, 2 FEBRUARY 2018, (CBNS)Doris McLean, a well-loved member of the Baha’i community and a “keeper of culture” from the Carcross/Tagish First Nation has passed away at the age of 77. The National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha’is of Canada called Mrs. McLean a “pillar of the Baha’i community as well as the peoples of the Yukon,” and “a strong and bright […]
- Birth of Baha’u’llah celebrated in Canadian Parliament November 30, 2017OTTAWA, 30 NOVEMBER 2017, (CBNS)On November 27th, Canadian Members of Parliament, members of the diplomatic corps, and others from civil society joined representatives of the Baha’i community for a reception on Parliament Hill to honour the bicentenary of the birth of Baha’u’llah. The gathering was held in the Commonwealth Room in the Centre Block of Parliam […]