Latest Canadian Baha’i News
Feed Source: www.bahainews.ca
- Canada joins nations in support of Baha’is in Yemen November 13, 2018OTTAWA, 13 NOVEMBER 2018, (CBNS)The Government of Canada has been a leading nation in support of the Baha’is who are facing escalating persecution in Houthi-controlled Yemen. On November 8, 2018, Canada was joined by the governments of Australia, Germany and the United States in making the following joint statement on the situation of the Baha’is in Yemen: W […]
- Celebration of Baha’i “Twin Holy Days” brings joy across Canada November 13, 2018TORONTO, 13 NOVEMBER 2018, (CBNS)“Learning about Baha’u’llah has brought a calmness to my life, a peacefulness that I didn't have before,” said Keisha Gayle, a mother of four from Toronto.
- Films for social change featured at Parliament of the World’s Religions November 8, 2018TORONTO, 8 NOVEMBER 2018, (CBNS)The Parliament of the World’s Religions featured a range of film-makers who shared their work and discussed the use of media as a tool for social change. A number of Baha’is showed films on a variety of themes, including inter-religious understanding, youth empowerment, the advancement of girls and women, and religious history […]
- Parliament of the World’s Religions stimulates dialogue on inclusion November 8, 2018TORONTO, 8 NOVEMBER 2018, (CBNS)More than 8,500 people gathered at the Metro Convention Centre in downtown Toronto for the 2018 Parliament of the World’s Religions, held from November 1-7. The Parliament is one of the largest interfaith gatherings in the world, which has taken place in the past in Chicago (1893, 1993), Cape Town (1999), Barcelona (2004), Mel […]
- Baha’is prepare for the Parliament of the World’s Religions October 12, 2018TORONTO, 12 OCTOBER 2018, (CBNS)From November 1-7, 2018, more than 8,000 people will converge on the Metro Toronto Convention Centre to participate in one of the largest gatherings of people learning about humanity’s religious and spiritual inheritance.
- Spiritual empowerment takes root in neighbourhoods across Canada October 5, 20185 OCTOBER 2018, TORONTO, (CBNS)Across Canada this summer, Baha’i communities brought together youth to learn about working with their younger peers to contribute to the betterment of their neighbourhoods. From the West Coast to the Atlantic, more than 300 youth in 16 locations across the country spent their summer training to become junior youth animators: y […]
- Baseless charges in Yemen signal intensified persecution September 18, 2018SANA'A, Yemen, 18 SEPTEMBER 2018, (BWNS)Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi authorities have, in a court hearing Saturday, targeted some 20 Baha’is with a string of baseless charges. This action comes at a time when the leader of the Houthis has incited the population to violence against Baha’is and other religious minorities.
- Baha’i youth participate in UN High Level Political Forum September 12, 2018NEW YORK, 12 September 2018, (CBNS)At the recent 2018 United Nations High-Level Political Forum, held in New York over the summer, the Baha’i community made a number of contributions to the conversation about the role of youth in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), collectively referred to as Agenda 2030. The Forum is an annual gathering of m […]
- Community Restores the Totem of Dorothy Maquabeak Francis August 1, 2018New Westminster, B.C., 1 AUGUST 2018, (CBNS)In Queen’s Park of New Westminster, British Columbia, stands a totem pole that honours Dorothy Maquabeak Francis, a woman whose legacy of service to humanity is still influencing lives today. Dorothy Francis was a member of the Baha’i community, who among many other significant contributions, established the first […]
- Baha'is Commemorate "the Martyrdom of the Bab" July 9, 2018Toronto, 9 July 2018, (CBNS)Baha’is in hundreds of cities, towns, and villages across the country will gather tomorrow to commemorate the martyrdom of “the Báb”, the Prophet-Herald of their Faith. Ashraf Rushdy, a Baha’i from Toronto, said that the Bab had a specific role in the development of the Baha’i Faith. “His mission was to gather people and to help t […]
- Embassy of Chile celebrates the Baha’i Temple of South America June 12, 2018Ottawa, 12 June 2018, (CBNS)“It is not every day you have the chance to launch a book that takes us through a creative journey, the refining of a concept, how it turns it into a design and then into a building in the foothills of Santiago.” With those words, Ambassador Alejandro Marisio welcomed guests of the Embassy of Chile to his official residence in Ott […]
- Book Launch on Stoney Nakoda First Nation highlights unity and justice June 5, 2018Stoney Nakoda First Nation, 5 June 2018The Stoney Nakoda First Nation west of Calgary, Alberta was host in May to a book launch for Equals and Partners: A Spiritual Journey Toward Reconciliation and Oneness, Wazin Îchinabi, a new memoir by southern Alberta author Patricia Verge. Wazin Îchinabi is the Stoney-Nakoda word for oneness.
- Baha’is Gather for Annual National Convention May 30, 2018Toronto, 29 May 2018From May 24-27, Baha’is from across Canada gathered at the Toronto Baha’i Centre for the annual Baha’i National Convention. The primary purpose of the Convention is to elect the National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha’is of Canada, a nine-person consultative body that serves as the governing council for the Baha’is of Canada. The 171 dele […]
- Iran Accountability Week led by all-party group for sixth year running May 18, 2018OTTAWA and TORONTO, 18 MAY 2018, (CBNS)For the past six years, the first week of May has been marked by members of all federal political parties as “Iran Accountability Week”. The initiative was started by former Attorney General Irwin Cotler, a member of the Liberal Party, to hold Iran to account for incitement to genocide, among other threats presented to […]
- Young adults gather to discuss a national youth policy for Canada May 4, 2018TORONTO, 4 MAY 2018, (CBNS)On April 28th, a small group of youth came together at the Toronto Baha’i Centre to participate in a consultative process launched by the federal government to design a national youth policy. The process, open to every part of the country, encourages youth to engage their peers to generate ideas that can inform the efforts of the f […]